Kirkus’ professional copy editors comb through your manuscript line by line to catch any grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors that may detract from the value of the work as a whole. Copy editors also flag style inconsistencies and continuity errors, and fact-check easily verifiable information, such as the spelling of a trademarked name.
THE COPYEDITING PROCESS
- After placing your order, you will answer a few questions about your project and upload your manuscript in Microsoft Word format using our secure server.
- You will be automatically transferred to a page that confirms receipt of your order and features a personalized author dashboard, where you can check the status of your project.
- Kirkus will assign your project to the most qualified editor for your book. Within two business days, a professional editor will have your manuscript and all the information you provided when you placed your order.
- When your edited manuscript is ready, we will send you an email containing a link to your author dashboard, where you will find two documents: (1) a memo from the editor with both general feedback and specific notes and (2) the edited manuscript ready for download. All the edits made by our editor will be tracked in the document using Microsoft Word’s track-changes function, so you will be able to accept or reject each correction made by the editor. Note that you must have Microsoft Word on your computer to participate in our editorial program. (Download a sample of a copyediting manuscript page.)
- You may revisit your author dashboard to access your editorial memo and edited manuscript at any time, even after your initial download.